Permits and Alcohol Laws

ABCCommissionNCtransparent100hThe North Carolina ABC Commission’s Permit Compliance Division is responsible for issuing retail permits to those establishments that are in business for the sale of alcoholic beverages.  (Ex: restaurants; hotels; private clubs; etc.)

The Permit Compliance Division is also responsible for issuing Special Occasion and Special One-Time (SOT) permits.  These permits would be obtained for functions such as fund raisers or any event where the premises has no alcohol permits or instances where the applicant(s) provide their own alcohol in lieu of purchasing the permittee’s alcohol.  These types of permits are typically issued to the general public and valid only for the day of the event.

For further information on permits, please see the North Carolina Alcoholic Beverage Control Commission.

For more information about North Carolina's alcohol laws (specifically NCGS 18B), follow this link