Annual Grant Program
The Annual Grant Program (AGP) is a long-standing grant opportunity offered through the Mecklenburg County ABC Board. The ABC Board is interested in partnering with eligible larger nonprofit organizations that will bring important programming to their target populations.
We encourage eligible organizations to submit proposals that bring important programming for prevention, education, treatment, and/or research of alcohol and/or substance abuse (substance use disorder) per Chapter 18B-805 (h) of the North Carolina General Statutes. These guidelines will be strictly followed.
Grants will be awarded up to $75,000 for a one-year project period in FY 2025, depending on and in alignment with the applicant's proposed project and at the discretion of the Board of Directors. Estimated number of awards is 20.
Read about the organizations and projects funded for FY 2024 HERE. Together, we can have a positive impact on our community.
Funding is restricted to organizations that meet the following criteria (note: fiscal sponsors are NOT allowed for the Annual Grant Program):
- Mecklenburg County non-profit, tax-exempt charitable organizations exempt under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code or governmental entities such as the State of North Carolina and its agencies, municipal corporations, and political subdivisions of the State.
- 501(c)(3) determination letters located in and serving residents of Mecklenburg County.
- Current year operating budget of $350,000 or more.
- Evidence of three (3) consecutive years of organization growth/success.
- Current active NC Charitable Solicitation License (CSL) or exempt status with the NC Secretary of State (NCSOS). Before applying for a grant, please check your organization's status HERE. If you do not have a CSL, exempt status, or your license has expired, please apply, or renew at this time. The ABC Board will require proof of application to the NCSOS to move forward in the grant process. The CSL number or evidence of exempt status will be required to receive a grant award.
- Demonstration of organizational financial stability though one of these options:
- Option 1: Three (3) most recent 990 full versions
- Option 2: Two (2) independent audits with comparative information completed by a licensed CPA
- Option 3: Three (3) independent audits with single year information completed by a licensed CPA
Each organization must have an account in Foundant, the ABC Board’s online grants management system. See below for more information on setting up an account.
Letter of Intent (LOI)
Opens: November 27, 2023
Closes: December 15, 2023
Open to all eligible organizations
Opens: February 16, 2024
Closes: March 22, 2024
By invitation only based on LOI
If invited to apply, the full grant application cycle will open in February 2024. Invitees will receive a link to the application via email.
- A Project Evaluation Form will be required as part of the application.
- Agency site visits will be scheduled virtually with applicant organizations as deemed appropriate by the Grants Evaluation Team as part of the grant evaluation process.
- Only one (1) application to the Annual Grant Program can be made by an organization for that fiscal year (note: current FY 2024 AGP grantees will be eligible for the FY 2025 Renewal Grant Program grant cycle for the SAME project; if also applying to the FY 2025 AGP, a NEW project must be proposed).
- All annual grants are for a one-year project period.
- Matching funds are not a requirement of the Annual Grant Program but are encouraged to strengthen the application.
- Non-allowable costs include sub-grants, sub-contracts and/or use of funds for general operating support. Definition of terms is as follows:
- Sub-grant: when a grantee makes grant awards from the funds received through its ABC grant.
- Sub-contract: when a grantee hires a contractor who then awards a portion of the existing contract to another individual or entity.
- Operating Costs: expenses associated with the maintenance and administration of a business on a day-to-day basis.
- All organizations submitting a full grant request will be notified in writing of their application status by May 31, 2024. Please note this is tentative application status pending Board budget approval at the June 2024 Board meeting.
The ABC Board is Here to Help!
OPTIONAL WORKSHOP - CLOSED: The FY 2025 Annual Grant Program
Virtual Pre-Grant Workshop was held on February 16, 2024, from 11:30 AM-1:00
Getting started means getting organized! This will help applicants to prepare a better grant application.
Begin by taking one of these two steps:
- If your organization is new to the ABC Board, please create an organization account in Foundant.
- If your organization is a current grantee or previous applicant of the ABC Board, update your organization information in Foundant that may have changed since the last funding cycle. It is important to keep contact information current so that communications from the ABC Board are not missed. DO NOT CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT.
Go to the ABC Board’s online grants management system at Foundant to create or make updates to your organization’s profile.
If you have trouble finding your account reach out to Terry Albanese, Program Officer Consultant HERE.
Project & Technical Assistance
For assistance with the Annual Grant Program or with Foundant, please contact Terry Albanese, Program Officer Consultant HERE.
These additional resources may help to answer some of your questions:
FY 2024 AGP-Reimbursement Request template-fill-in
FY2024 AGP RFP Budget Summary Template-FINAL
FY2024 MeckABC Grant-Program Contract Amendment Form