With the repeal of prohibition and the establishment of the North Carolina Alcoholic Beverage Commission in 1937, citizens of our state authorized where the profits from spirit sales would go. For each local entity that establishes an ABC Board, at least 7% of their profits must be dedicated to alcohol education.
Beginning in the late 1950’s, local leaders developed a plan to establish a local treatment facility. Almost ten years later, another facility was established to offer cost effective treatment for those unable to pay for services. In the early 1970’s, the Mecklenburg County ABC Board built a facility to house one of the organizations. In the Spring of 1994, a request was made by the Board to merge the two organizations. Since then, the Chemical Dependency Center of Charlotte-Mecklenburg has received major financial support from the Mecklenburg County ABC Board and operated from their Billingsley Road location without facility expense. They serve youth and adults in both English and Spanish through culturally diverse services. In September, 2008, the Chemical Dependency Center of Charlotte-Mecklenburg changed their organizational name to:
For more information about services they provide, visit our Helpful Links page